tenancy information

What every tenant needs to know

*** Scroll to bottom for emergency trade contact details ***

The following information is legislated and governed by the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA).

The property manager/owner is responsible for ensuring the property is fit to live in and in a good state of repair. The tenant must notify them of any repairs needed.

If a tenant, or their guest, damages the property, they may have to pay for repairs.

Example 1. If a tenant breaks a window by throwing a ball through it, they are responsible and have to pay for repairs.

Example 2. If a window falls out of the frame, and breaks, due to ageing putty that may be fair wear and tear and the property manager/owner may have to pay.

The property manager/owner generally carries out any repairs or organises someone to do so.

There are 2 kinds of repairs: routine, and emergency (general tenancies only).

The property manager/owner must carry out repairs within a reasonable time and comply with the entry rules.

There are no rules about emergency repairs in rooming accommodation (apart from entry rules) and the tenant must not arrange emergency repairs.

Routine repairs

It is best to inform the property manager/owner of required repairs in writing. Time frames for repairs vary depending on the circumstances (e.g. availability of tradespeople) and the type of repairs needed the tenant should not carry out repairs without written permission

What if the Property manager/owner does not carry out routine repairs

If the problem has not been fixed, the tenant should try to resolve the issue by talking to the property manager/owner.If routine repairs are not organised within a reasonable time, the tenant can issue the property manager/owner with a Notice to remedy breach (Form 11) giving them 7 days to fix the problem. Rooming accommodation tenants use Notice to remedy breach (Form R11) giving the property manager/owner 5 days to fix the problem.If the problem cannot be resolved the RTA’s dispute resolution service may be able to help.The tenant should never stop paying rent to ensure repairs are made. Non-payment of rent is a breach of the agreement.

Emergency repairs

The tenant should contact the property manager/owner or the nominated repairer (listed on the tenancy agreement) about the problem. It is a good idea to put the request in writing as evidence of notification.

If they cannot be contacted, the tenant can arrange for a qualified person to carry out emergency repairs to a maximum value of 2 weeks rent.


Emergency repairs are:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak,
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm, fire or impact damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • a failure or breakdown of an essential service or appliance on the property for hot water, cooking or heating
  • a fault or damage that makes the property unsafe or insecure
  • a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a tenant
  • a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area of the property that unduly inconveniences a tenant in gaining access to, or using, the property.

All other repairs are considered routine repairs.

Paying for emergency repairs

If the tenant pays the repairer they need to give all receipts to the property manager/owner who must pay them back within 7 days.

Alternatively, the tenant may ask the property manager/owner to pay the repairer directly.


Approved Emergency Tradespeople


Plumbing: Aspiring Plumbing   0405 371 876

Electrical: AMP’D Electrical   0475 415 414

Roofing: Fussy Roof Restorations   0418 353 295

Carpentry: Home Maintenance Now   0434 744 151

Apply Today

Thank you for considering one of our properties to rent. It’s important to make sure you’ve chosen a property that best suits your needs so please make a time to view the property before submitting an application.

If you have further questions about the property, please call us anytime.

Two Ways To Apply

To apply using 1Form, click the logo link and log in.

To apply direct with Harts, click the logo link and submit all required documents.


In order to apply for a property, you will need the following;

  • Application Form (either option above)
  • Proof of Income
  • Proof of Identification (100 pts)

All applications receive a response. We look forward to hearing from you.

Our aim is to assist you to receive a 100% Bond Refund.

Once you have sent us the Notice of Intention to Leave form, we will request a Pre-Vacate Meeting. This will help you prepare and complete the necessary paperwork.

Please Remember That The Bond Is For Satisfactory Property Condition And Cannot To Be Used Towards Unpaid Rent.


4 Steps Toward A 100% Bond Refund:

1. Call a Bond cleaner now and book them for 3 days before your vacate date- ensure they have “vacant access”- so everything must be out already. Here is a link to our cleaning list ( please print and read VIP) and our preferred Bond cleaners/ carpet and pest control etc.

Cleaning checklist and preferred suppliers

2. Call and book Carpet cleaner and pest control for the morning of  vacate day- preferred supplier Mark Faulkner – will do both at a reasonable cost

3. When Bond Clean is complete, take the Exit condition form, – link here  RTA-exit-condition-report-form14a ( must be printed and completed and left on kitchen bench on vacate day)- Inspect room by room, ticking off each item that is complete. If this report has not been completed and left on kitchen bench on the vacate day, we will not be able to do the Exit Inspection and your refund will be delayed.

4. Leave a copy of the bond clean, carpet clean and pest control receipts with the Exit Condition Report on kitchen bench prior to exit inspection. You are welcome to attend this inspection, time will be notified.

When We Will Inspect

We inspect every 3 months. You will receive a notification email well in advance of an entry date. Due to time restraints and schedules, it is difficult to rearrange the allocated time, however, in extreme circumstances, contact our office, to request a change of entry.

What Tenants Need To Do

You are welcome to attend the inspection, but it is not necessary as we use our agency keys to access the property and secure the property on our departure.

Tenants to Complete:

The table below lists areas checked to identify repairs and maintenance. If you are aware of any problem with any area listed, please indicate by ticking the box beside the applicable area and leave this form on the kitchen bench or table on the inspection date for our attention.

If you have a dog
please ensure dogs are restrained or removed from the Property for the inspection to provide our staff with easy and safe access to all areas.

If the Property has an alarm system and the code has been changedif the code provided at the beginning of the tenancy has been altered, please notify our office with the new code details.

Feedback Report

Our staff will leave a note in the property with feedback and requests for your attention, if required.

If you have any queries, please contact us via email or phone.



      Floor Coverings

      Garage / carport

      Walls

      Gardens & lawns

      Doors

      Paintwork

      Ceiling fans, if applicable

      Guttering & downpipes

      Smoke alarms

      Steps – structure & paint

      Light fittings

      Balcony, verandah and / or deck

      Power points

      Stumps, if applicable

      Built in cupboards – shelving & rails

      Driveway, paths, courtyard

      Curtains / blinds

      Locks

      Whitegoods if included in tenancy

      Pool / spa, if applicable

      Fixtures eg. oven, hotplates

      Fencing

      Hot water system

      Taps

      Furniture, if included in tenancy

      Other:


      All wet areas – taps & pipes below sinks and basins