How to get rid of Mould around the house

HOW TO GET RID OF MOULD AROUND THE HOUSE

I have been asked recently for some tips on how to deal with mould in and around the house, especially after the recent rain events on the Gold Coast.

After doing some research, and trying a few things myself, it seems the “experts” agree that the simplest solution works best.

Mould is a common organism that belongs to the family of funguses that includes mushrooms. The spores are everywhere, especially after the recent rain events and especially in damp places both indoors and outside.

If you have mould growing on a wall or ceiling it not only looks awful, but it can be bad for your health, so it needs to be cleaned right away.

Many believe that the best method of mould removal is vinegar, however, others still swear by bleach. From my research it seems vinegar kills the mould and bleach cleans it, but don’t use them together as the fumes are very bad for your health. Vinegar kills more than 80 percent of mould species. It is acidic and help prevent mould growth as well.

One guy I know uses this method as a 5 Minute Mould Fix that seems to work very well;

  1. Pour half a bottle of vinegar into a bucket
  2. Soak a chux cloth
  3. Wipe down any affected areas + nearby areas as a precaution 

If you like things done 100% the first time my recommendation for a Full Mould Fix is;

For any doors, walls or ceilings affected by mould:

  1. Open the windows for plenty of fresh air and for drying the wall or ceiling. Use a mask, to protect you from exposure to the mould.
  2. If the mould appears to be dry, use a clean broom or long handle soft brush to remove the excess, then vacuum to get rid of spores
  3. Fill a spray bottle with cleaning vinegar undiluted, (Bunnings) or if you are in a rush, normal vinegar works as well, adding a few drops of clove oil and tea tree oil to the vinegar helps too.
  4. Spray vinegar directly on walls/ ceilings/doors and leave to dry, about 1 hour.
  5. Mix a few tablespoons of baking soda into a bucket of water, dip a microfibre cloth into the mix and wring out so that it’s not too wet and wipe the areas affected.
  6. If it’s on the ceiling, you can use a (clean) damp mop (squeezing most water out) or a paint roller
  7. Soak the mop in a bleach solution and wring out before and after use (very important to use a clean mop or you will just make things worse!)
  8. Don’t rub too hard or you might remove paint. If the water gets dirty make up a clean solution.
  9. For more stubborn mould you may have to do this a few times, you can also use gel bleach directly on a microfibre cloth, but take care not to get it on your clothes or carpets (recommended to use on a small out of sight patch first and don’t rub too hard or you will remove the paint)
  10. If there is a ceiling fan in the room, leave it on for 20 minutes to dry completely

Keep the vinegar spray bottle handy and use regularly, it also works well in showers to prevent mould growth in grout once cleaned with bleach.

For outside areas such as windows, window and frames, vinegar works just as well. If you have access to a high-pressure cleaner, or hose, it’s best to wash everything off first, then follow up with vinegar on windows and frames, using a squeegee or microfibre cloth.

For pathways, a high-pressure cleaner to get rid of the mould is the easiest, and again killing it and preventing it from growing, vinegar. However, if it has not been done in a while, Bunnings sells a product, 30 Seconds Outdoor cleaner that helps lift old and stubborn mould moss and algae on pathways and driveways.



How much is your home worth today?

RECENT Posts

Scroll to Top